Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Stencils, Paint and Black-Eyed Susans

 Club Scrap often provides stencils and masks in their monthly kits. They've been doing this waaaaay before stencils were cool.  I however have not been that great at using ink with my stencils.  I can't seem to line things up and get it to stay there while applying ink.  My favorite medium to use is spackle.  Yes, good ol' spackle from the hardware store. So I decided to step out of my comfort zone when I received some gorgeous stencils to create with. I went back to ink but I just inked different masks and stencils to create a background.  If it's messy you can't tell I screwed it up :)

Supplies: Club Scrap Peridot ink and white cardstock. Honeycomb, Wavy Lines, Nice to See You, Dots, Fern and Large Branch stencils.
 
Now to add photos and embellishments. I have a stunning photo of Black-Eyed Susans that I thought went really well the stenciled background page.   I started out by going through my Club Scrap Assembly Line Idea Deck to find a one photo sketch. That's when I came across the 10 of Spades from Vol. V. I just used the one side of the two page layout.
 
 
I love to mix papers from different kits.  So here I used the green from Woven Strands and stenciled the honeycomb pattern lightly to give it a some definition. I thought that the Seaside paper from 2014 retreat when well with the colors of the flowers. Ribbon and "Bliss" from Woven Strands.
 
The page still needed a little "oomph" so I created the Black-Eyed Susan with the backside of the Seaside paper punched out with EK Success punches. I added several dimensional dots to the back of the flower to drop it backward to be more life like. I only had a white fabric button brad so I colored it with a Copic marker.
 
 
I couldn't stop there with my stencils.  Since I already had them out I went to another favorite of mine.  I love using my stencils on black paper with white mediums. So I mixed white acrylic paint with water in a small spray bottle and started spraying on top of the stencils with a panel behind. I then would take the stencil and make a second panel and lay it on top of the stencil to get the paint that was left behind.
 

 Here's a sampling of some of the panels. 
 
 
Here are three cards that I came up with so far, but expect to see more soon.
 
Supplies: Club Scrap mask, Woven Strands papers and stamp. Queen & Co. pearls, K&Co. butterfly. Tim Holtz die cut.

Supplies: Woven Strands paper and ribbons, Club Scrap stencils, unknown circle tag.

Supplies: Club Scrap stencils and mask, Woven Strands paper and tag. Queen & Co pearls.
 
Head on over to Club Scrap see what stencils they have in store.  You can also see some tutorials on how to use your stencils at the Club Scrap blog.  
 
 

15 comments:

  1. Your lo is beautiful Lisa - love the green paired with the flowers. Your cards are great! That looks like such fun! May have to dig out my acrylic paints and play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Job! I love how your use of the stencils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so artsy and clever. Very happy cards. Love them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything you did here. My fave is the final "extraordinary" card . . . the black and white with just a touch of color is very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Lisa, somuch fun,such a great lay out and wonderful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Lisa - I have the same issues when I play with ink! TFS! It turned out great which means I should probably just go with it when I give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, you have outdone yourself with your techniques!! The white spray backgrounds are WOW!! And the layout with the multi stencil/mask artwork is gorgeous!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!! I love the white on black! And your adorable flower, and the polkadot theme on the ribbon and circle! I never would have thought of diluted white paint. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome! Beautiful layout, but I really love the black and white card panels! Elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those black and white panels are stunning - I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous page! I like the black and white panels you created!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the black and white cards- I'm so inspired to go make some panels myself!!

    ReplyDelete